- The process of habituating or the state of being habituated.
- Physiological tolerance to a drug resulting from repeated use.
- Psychological dependence on a drug.
- Psychology. The decline of a conditioned response following repeated exposure to the conditioned stimulus.
1. transitive verb
make somebody used to something: to accustom a person or animal to something through prolonged and regular exposure ( formal )
People living in cities become habituated to crowds.
2. transitive and intransitive verb
psychology learn to ignore stimulus: to learn not to respond to a stimulus that is frequently repeated, or teach a person or animal to do this
[16th century. <> habituat-, past participle of habituare "bring into a state" <> habitus (see habit)]